Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Social Stigma

Blogs, they are a great way to convey information on lots of different topics. They're quick and easy to use, the templates are well laid out and easy to read and it's not like they are a new technology. So, why is it taking so long for corporate America to see the benefit of social computing. I go to Lotusphere every year and I see the great presentations on how we can interact with each other in the corporate environment. I've seen Connections evolve as well as the integration of Sametime, Blogs, Profiles and Dog Ears as well as other social sites. The problem is, not every company is as "Open" to the idea of new stuff. Instant Messaging, until recently, has been looked at as a waste of time and a source of possible problems at my company. So the question I have is, how do get management to buy in to the idea of Social Software? FaceBook, Twitter, and even Second Life are being used extensively at other companies, but I can't see how they can be used in places that won't even let their users have IM clients. I see the benefits, but I'm having a hard time getting my point across. The problem is the word "Social" It caries a stigma with it that large corporations can't shake. If your being social, you're not being productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment